Police are investigating after thieves broke into Sir Paul McCartney’s £10million London home just days before his homecoming gig in London.
‘There were blue flashing lights and police everywhere — four or five cars,’ a local told the Daily Mail. ‘All the lights were on in the house. The police were all over it.’
A Metropolitan Police spokesman confirms that officers responded to a break-in at 6.20pm last Friday. ‘We attended and identified signs of forced entry,’ he said.
His spokesman declines to say whether Sir Paul or his third wife, Nancy Shevell, (pictured together) were in London at the time the intruders struck
Paul McCartney rolled back the years to deliver a masterclass as he returned to Liverpool to launch his new UK tour – just days after his home was targeted by burglars in London
Sir Paul, 76, had performed in Austrian capital Vienna the night before.
His spokesman declines to say whether Sir Paul or his third wife, Nancy Shevell, were in London at the time the intruders struck.
But the incident will inevitably be a cause for concern to McCartney, who, say locals, does his utmost to live a normal life in London.
‘He walks around without a bodyguard, chats with people, walks in the park,’ says one. ‘But he does get people hanging around.
Thieves targeted Sir Paul’s home in London on Friday night (pictured) with the Metropolitan Police telling the Daily Mail no arrests have been made and inquiries continue
‘The house has got cameras all over it, so I don’t know how they got in. It must be worrying. After what happened to John Lennon, you’ve got to be pretty bloody careful.’
The Metropolitan Police say that no arrests have been made and their inquiries continue.
The former Beatles singer did not let the incident phase him as he took to the stage in Liverpool on Wednesday.
Where he delivered a full, 38-song package to launch the UK leg of his Freshen Up tour.
There was a cheer as he walked onstage – fist-bumping the air and shrugging in mock surprise – and an even louder one to greet the iconic opening chord of A Hard Day’s Night.
Sir Paul has previously expressed concern over the possibility of thieves targeting his home in north London.
In 2009 his security team reportedly asked for the property to be removed from Google Street View ‘unsettled’ that people could see it online.
It came at a time when the service was under fire over its possible use by burglars to research targets.
This is not the first time the home of a former Beatles member has been targeted. George Harrison was targeted in December 1999 by a knife-wielding intruder.
The then 54-year-old was stabbed several times during the break-in at his secluded mansion in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire.
The incident will inevitably be a cause for concern to McCartney, who, say locals, does his utmost to live a normal life in London. He is pictured here with wife Nancy
Macca’s security scare also comes around 38 years to the day that Lennon was murdered in New York.
Celebrities have been targeted by opportunistic thieves over the years for the valuables thought to be held in their homes.
Footballers including Steven Gerrard, Ashley Cole and Frank Lampard have all been targeted by thieves over the years.
In 2007 Gerrard became the sixth player from his then club Liverpool to be targeted by thieves in 18 months.
The England midfielder was targeted by a gang of raiders who stole thousands of pounds of jewellery and possessions from the house.
Many of the burglaries happened during matches and Liverpool FC pledged that they would consider beefing up security on players’ homes during matches.